Guide to Online Casinos in Kentucky: The Best Kentucky Casino Sites for 2020
|Online Casinos||Legal Since:|
Unfortunately Kentucky has not legalized land based or online casinos. The state has very strict laws when it comes to gambling. Horseracing and the lottery are available but there are no casinos. Legislative efforts have not been able to pass a bill to legalize casinos. It does not look likely that any casinos will be opened soon. Many residents of the state cross state lines to Indiana and Ohio in order to enjoy a casino experience.
- We consult only reputable news sources: Lexington Herald Leader and the Daily Independent to stay on top of all industry related news and developments.
- We are all round experts in gambling. We have dedicated teams across the gambling industry, including for casino games such as slots and have created an online roulette guide.
- We keep on top of any changes to the law by closely following the movements of the American Gaming Association and the Department of Charitable Gaming.
Available Casino Games in Kentucky
As Kentucky does not offer any form of casino, residents can travel across the state borders to Ohio, Indiana or Illinois where they can play slot machines, blackjack, roulette, mini-baccarat, craps and many variations of poker.
- Roulette – Players win by guessing where the ball lands when the wheel stops spinning.
- Blackjack – Players try to get a card hand as close to 21 as possible.
- Craps – Very popular game based on rolling certain combinations of two dice.
- Bingo – Match selected numbers against randomly drawn numbers.
- Poker – Hugely popular card game with many variations of playing type.
Biggest Kentucky Casinos
With no casinos available in the state, residents can travel across state lines to Indiana where there are plenty of opportunities to play. One very popular casino near the state border is Horseshoe Southern Indiana. Part of the Caesars group and lives up to the Caesars reputation for style and gaming variety. 1,650 slot machines a variety of table games and a poker room with 30 tables.
- Horseshoe Southern Indiana Casino Hotel – 11999 Avenue of the Emperors Southeast, Elizabeth, Indiana
- Belterra Casino Resort – 777 Belterra Dr., Florence Indiana
- Rising Star Casino Resort – 777 Rising Star Dr., Rising Sun, Indiana
- Hollywood Casino Lawrenceburg, 777 Hollywood Blvd., Lawrenceburg, Indiana
History of Casino Gambling in Kentucky
Kentucky has no casinos in the state. The state has a strong history of horseracing thanks to the Kentucky Derby having first taken place in 1875. The state was also late to introduce a state lottery. Charitable gaming was allowed in the 1990’s but this has limitations as to what can be wagered or won. To see the full picture you might want to check our detailed Kentucky gambling page
|1875||Kentucky derby runs for the first time.|
|1931||Legal attempt fails to stop horseracing betting|
|1988||A state lottery is passed through the senate, the first draw took place a year later in 1989.|
|1992||Charitable gaming prohibition is relaxed, allowing events to take place including bingo.|
|2006-2011||Kentucky sues a poker company, PokerStars, for accepting players from Kentucky to take part in their games.|
Casino Gambling Age in Kentucky
There is no legal casino gambling in Kentucky and that means, no legal gambling age has been defined. However, as residents can travel across state to gamble it is worthwhile to know the legal ages there. Indiana, Ohio and Illinois all have a minimum age of 21 for gambling in the casino. Although minors are often allowed into casinos for shows and dining, they are not allowed to enter the gaming floor. Heavy fines can be imposed to both the minor, the parents and the casino employee.
Online Casino AgeCasino gambling is not available so there is no minimum age.
Alcohol AgeThe legal drinking age in Kentucky is 21 years old.
Weed AgeRecreational use of Cannabis is not permitted in Kentucky, there is no legal age.
Responsible Gambling and Addiction Prevention
Although Kentucky does not offer any casino gambling, there is help and advice available for people with gambling addictions. The state offers counseling and holds Gamblers Anonymous meetings. They offer a 24 hour helpline for anyone who feels they are suffering with a gambling problem. More details can be found at the Kentucky council on problem gambling.
Can I Play Without Deposit?
Simply put, there is no online casino in Kentucky, therefore no opportunities to play without a deposit. Even so, Some sites outside the state do offer the chance to play the games on their websites without necessitating a real-money deposit. This type of deals allow players to try out the game with a set amount of bonus money. It is possible to cash out winnings but these are restricted by certain terms and conditions. There are those sites requiring a playthrough condition to be fulfilled before any winnings can be withdrawn.
Upcoming Casino Regulation and Expected Changes
Kentucky has no casino and has no online casino available for residents. There have been efforts to introduce casinos but all have failed. It is very unlikely that there will be any changes in these laws in the near future. In the meantime, residents will continue to travel across the state lines to neighboring states to take part in the casino experience. With recent online gambling crack-downs in the state it is unlikely that there will be any progress with an online casino. If there are any changes we will keep you up to date. In the meantime, you can familiarize yourself with what the casinos in New Jersey have to offer as gambling there is legal.