|Online Casinos||Legal Since:|
Guide to Online Casinos in Maryland: The Best Maryland Casino Sites for 2019
Maryland has been late to the casino experience but in 2012 table games were legalized and six casinos are now operating in the state. Slot machines were initially legalizes in certain counties in the 1940’s. There is no Maryland online casino available. Although, the state appears to be taking a light stance with online casino and online poker playing. It is not legal to play the games however, there are rarely prosecutions against players who play online.
- We only trust verified sources like The Baltimore Sun and the Capital Gazette which is one of the main reasons why our information is laways relevant and up to date.
- We are experts in the field of sports betting remote gaming and as such we have teams across the industry that are constantly creating and updating guides for games like slots and online roulette.
- We keep on top of any changes to the law by closely following the movements of the American Gaming Association and the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency.
- Baltimore Sun
- Capital Gazette
- American Gaming Association
- Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission
Available Casino Games in Maryland
The casinos in Maryland offer a large variety of games including: slot machines, blackjack, roulette, mini-baccarat, craps and many variations of poker.
- Roulette – The dealers spins the wheel and players try to guess where the ball will land.
- Blackjack – Players have to beat the house with a hand value closer to 21.
- Craps – Roll the dice and try to strike any of the given combinations.
- Slots – Players win based on the random outcome of spinning 3 or 5 reel machines.
- Poker – A card game where gamblers play against the house or against each other.
Biggest Maryland Casinos
There are six casinos in Maryland, all providing excellent casino experiences. Horseshoe Baltimore offers over 2,000 gaming machines, 25 poker tables and over 150 gaming tables. Every gambler will be able to find something to play. The casino also offers a good variety of dining experiences. There is also the Live! Casino Hotel which provides 4,000 game machines, 52 poker tables and 137 gaming tables.
- Horseshoe Casino – 1525 Russell Street, Baltimore
- Rocky Gap Casino Resort – 16701 Lakeview Road, Northeast, Flintstone
- Live! Casino and Hotel – 7000 Arundel Mills Circle, Hanover
- MGM National Harbor – 101 MGM National Avenue, Oxon Hill
- Hollywood Casino – 1201 Chesapeake Overlook Parkway, Perryville
History of Casino Gambling in Maryland
Maryland has not been in the casino game very long. It still manages to have some excellent casinos. The state was quick to introduce horseracing and slot machines in several counties. However, this did not last long and slot machine licenses expired in 1968. There was no sign of a casino in the future until 2012 when table games were legalized.
|1791||Lotteries were first legalized, thousands of private lotteries were operating at one point.|
|1834||Lottery across the state are brought under control and new licenses are no longer given.|
|1940’s||Slot machines are legalized in several counties and they become increasingly popular.|
|1968||The last of the existing slot machine licenses expires and no more are approved.|
|1973||The state lottery is introduced in the state, it proves very popular and generates a lot of revenue for Maryland.|
|2010||The first casino opens, Hollywood Casino in Perryville. The casino does not offer table games as these were still illegal.|
|2012||Table games are legalized thanks to a referendum. This creates a casino boom and over the next few years the number of casinos had grown to six.|
Casino Gambling Age in Maryland
The minimum age in Maryland is 21 years old. Minors are not allowed in the casinos. There are often separate entrances for the dining options and minors are allowed in here. The casinos have security guards in order to stop any minors from gaining admission. Minors if caught, will face fines and potentially prosecution. The parents may also face penalties.
Online Casino AgeLegal age for Casino gambling in Maryland is 21 years old.
Alcohol AgeThe legal drinking age in Maryland is 21 years old.
Weed AgeRecreational cannabis is legal in Maryland and the minimum age is 21 years old
Responsible Gambling and Addiction Prevention
Maryland has helplines, counsellors and training available for problem gambling. They offer a wide range of help and advice on how to spot a problem and how to cope with it. There is also a self-exclusion program which can be signed up for that bans the person from entering any casino in the state. Gamblers Anonymous meetings are held for group therapy and also one on one counsellor sessions are available. The state pushes a policy of understanding the warning signs so a problem can be caught in the early stages.
Can I Play Without Deposit?
As there is no online casino in Maryland there are no opportunities to play without a deposit. However, many sites outside the state do offer the chance to play the games on their websites without depositing any real cash. These offers allow players to try out the game with a set amount of bonus money. It is possible to withdraw any winnings, but these are restricted to specific conditions. Some sites require a playthrough condition before any winnings can be withdrawn.
Upcoming Casino Regulation and Expected Changes
Although Maryland was quite late to the casino industry, they have been quite progressive with their laws and regulations to date. While online casinos are not strictly legal in the state there are some online sites based outside the United States that are accepting Maryland players. The authorities are not clamping down on their use which gives many the hope that Maryland could be one of the next states to legalize online casinos. It is not advised to use these sites as the law states that a misdemeanor for online gambling will result in up to six months jail time and thousands of dollars in fines. If there are any changes to the law we will keep you up to date.